Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Meet Miss Molly and a FREE chalkboard printable

I am 25 years old. The last thing I expected to hear when my baby was just hours old was "she has Down syndrome." Down syndrome is a condition where a person is born with 3 pairs of the 21st chromosome. It is fairly common-1 in 691 babies in the US are born with it. People with Down syndrome have similar physical features: low muscle tone, flatter facial features, and upturned "almond shaped" eyes. Individuals with Down syndrome possess varying degrees of cognitive delays, from very mild to severe. Most people with Down syndrome have cognitive delays that are mild to moderate.



 Here I was, exhausted from giving birth, with about 3 hours of sleep, and this bombshell gets dropped in my lap. I have to admit it took a long time to accept the fact that my baby was different. Honestly, there are some days even now, 4 months later where I still struggle. I see my friends and family with "normal" babies and sometimes catch myself wondering "why me?" But then I look at the face of my beautiful baby girl and feel nothing but gratitude for the way my life turned out. There are going to be struggles-she has a few heart defects that are going to need to be repaired with an open heart surgery. She is going to take longer to walk and talk and read and write. But she helps me and my entire family appreciate the little things and have a greater appreciation for life!


The other day Bruno Mars' song "just the way you are" came on the radio. I was holding Molly and when it got to the chorus I almost started crying. The words are perfect...

When I see your face there's not a thing that I would change. 'Cause girl you're amazing just the way you are. And when you smile the whole world stops and stares for awhile. 'Cause girl you're amazing just the way you are. 

Sometimes I get a streak of creativity. Hearing these lyrics and looking at my perfect baby inspired me to make a printable to put in her room to remind her that she doesn't have to change a thing about her. I hope it can be a source of strength when the inevitable time comes when someone teases her and makes her think something is wrong with her. Anyway, I hopped on the Pinterest bandwagon and created a "mockboard" print with the lyrics!

I wanted to share it with everyone and ask that if you come across a person with Down syndrome you see them first as a person. Who happens to have Down syndrome. They are some of the sweetest, most loving individuals you will ever have the pleasure to meet and their smile will brighten your whole day! I feel so blessed to be able to have one of these most special angels in my home.

Ok I'm off my soapbox now, here's the printable! (click on the link to download!)

Just the Way You Are Printable

{S}handa


4 comments:

  1. Love it!!! And love you!! I think You're Amazing!
    Mommy Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome Shanda!!! I'm trying to do the same thing for when Caelyn and Curtis need their therapy or surgeries!!! I'm so glad you guys have an amazing support system and the cutest lil girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And how many babies do you know that can growl while they put their feet on their ears???? That's talent!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks all!! we are only holding it together because of you guys! love you!
    -shan

    ReplyDelete